Thursday, November 20, 2014

The Coin of Shame

So our 4 day english fast only lasted like 2 full days and then after that it was half days. It's not that it's too entirely difficult, it just got really reaaallly boring. We missed our Elders, they were so silent because they hardly know enough spanish to have conversations. But I definitely think it was a good exercise. I don't know if I told you but for every time we spoke english, we added a minute to the time at the end of the day holding a peso against the wall with our nose. I did not like the coin of shame. 
Saturday, my comp and I taught our first real live person! She was just baptized 2 months ago and we were told she would have lots of questions, but she ended up just talking to us for a really long time about her testimony and how she thought it was great that we give up a year and a half of our youth to teach others. I seriously loved her so much even though I had just met her, I almost started crying at the end of the lesson just because I'm so excited to teach really people who need Jesus in their lives even though it sounds cheesy, I am so excited. And I really want to get better at spanish so that I can understand every word they say. I was surprised at how much i could understand from a native speaker talking at a normal speed, but there is still a lot I don't know. 
Sunday was the first day of our English fast, so only spanish all day except companionship study and gym time. And there's no gym time on Sunday so basically it was the longest Sunday OF MY LIFE. And during said eternal Sunday, my comp and I were pulled aside by the branch presidency and taken into a room where they asked us if we were 100 percent obedient because they said we might be in trouble but that they weren't sure. So we were freaking out thinking back in our heads if there was any time that we had broken the rules or done something wrong. I finally said, Pres Suaste, we aren't perfect, but when we do mess up, we talk about it with each other, we repent, and we strive to be better. And then sneaky Suaste was like good that's what we thought, we want you two to be the new sister training leaders! Which is like the female equivalent to zone leader apparently. So basically we were like well dang. But it's really easy, we just have to go to leadership meetings some times and pick out the hymns for sunday and assign people to sing. I don't think we will be getting a new district to train until next week because they don't want missionaries to try to travel to their missions so close to Christmas. 
On Monday my companion and I taught our first lesson without writing it out, and I thought it went well. It's important to be flexible during lessons and able to change the topic to fit the needs of the person you're teaching. Our instructors always remind us that we're here to teach people, not lessons. I get along okay with my spanish, sometimes I say the wrong thing. You gotta be careful ya know. One time I said that through Jesus Christ we can be free from our fishes because in spanish sins are pecados and fishes are pescados. So basically I'm killin it with the spanish game. 
Oh and as a district, we are getting crazy good at volleyball, it's probably because we play it every day and today we played for like two hours straight. It's great except my district calls me out when i "baby giraffe" it because apparently there's a verb now for my awkward volleyball playing. 
Yesterday I had tamales for breakfast and dinner and I'm not complaining. My companion and I assigned the Elders to sing Soy un Hijo de Dios in sacrament but I think I'm going to need to get on them to practice because they're nervous the poor things. We had really great devotionals this week, one from David A. Bednar was amazing and he told the missionaries, "when you don't think you can do this, you're right" and at first I'm like aww man but if you think about it, sure Ive been called to serve and do all this stuff, but I'm not alone, people forget that ALL of your strength can include that of the Lord's, and he wants you to succeed, not fail. We just have to come follow Jesus until you can walk with him I guess. Love you have a good week!

1 comment:

  1. Awh, you're so cute bby girl! I love reading these and seeing you grow. I miss and love you! Keep coin ya thang <333

    ReplyDelete