Monday, January 12, 2015

Tres Leches Cakes!



So we are definitely starting out the new year right with basically our worst numbers ever lesson wise this week, but I've been remembering to take my gummy vitamins every day so it hasn't been a total flop

Lunes: yes we had so much fun at our picnic! We took the bus to a really nice park in Negrito but it's mostly concrete so we didn't sit on the grass or anything but it was still a nice picnic. After we ate, we played futbol with the elders and I absolutely baby giraffed it but it was still fun. Then like six honduran kids wanted to play with us and we ended up playing for like two hours and we missed the last bus back to Morazan and we were super sweaty and tired! All the latinos got super excited whenever I made a goal and they about died when I headed the ball to Elder Ashton and he headed it to Rosales it was hilarious we're so white and awkward. My comp told be later that I'm never going to have a district this fun again and that the rest of my mission is going to be super boring so yayy haha so much to look forward to. Oh and one of the members came and picked us up, so we weren't stranded. 

Martes: My comp was super baggy because it's Carnival season in Columbia right now. (I'm totally going 2016 it sounds freaking awesome) We challenged one of our families that we're teaching to stop drinking coffee. Everyone drinks coffee here, even the little kids. But it was cool because my companion has only been a member of the church for 5 years so she can relate with the investigators and tell them about her experience because she used to drink a ton of coffee. Oh and I don´t know if I mentioned this but when I bought everything for our picninc on Lunes (4 bags of bread, condiments, a pineapple, milk, cilantro, grapes, a papaya, celery, a whole frozen chicken, avocados, tomatoes, and lettuce) the total was all under 30 USD. whaaaaaat. 

Miércoles: I bought everything we needed to make two tres leches cakes and it ws all under 20 USD. whaaaaaat. 
Oh okay so we were sitting in our lesson with the lovely Lopez family having a grand old time and I move my hair and feel something on my neck. something horribly familiar. So I was trying not to freak out and I smiled pleasantly throughout the rest of the lesson but I was screaming inside. After we finally left I asked Calpa to talke a look and she started freaking out and said we needed to find a nurse or something but we didnt't know anyone so we went to Fanny's and IT WAS A TICK SUCKING ON THE BACK OF MY NECK. and they tried to yank it out right away and I was like noooo and I tried to explain that Ive had tick bites before and some parts of the tick got left behind and it was terrible and yeah. Calpa was listing off places I could have gotten it,, like certain investigators and I was just like no, it's just.....Honduras in general, it doesn't matter. 

Jueves: Calpa made me banana pancakes and it was raining last night so awwww. We spent most of the day making cakes for one of the member's cumpleaños and I think they turned out super tasty! The recipe was in English so I felt useful for once but I definitely need to work on my cooking vocab. Oh and merciful heavens I conducted my first weekly planning session today and I was honestly a little taken aback at how much I absolutely detested it with every fibre of my being. Which is crazy because I'm usually super cool with everything I have to do in the mission, even if it's a little difficult. I just don't like all the numbers and metas that make us focus on numbers instead of people. I know it's just supposed to push us to be better missionaries but holy cow I am trying really hard to like weekly planning sessions. 
Later we got pollo con tajadas with the elders and celebrated Rosales' one year in the mission (and also my one little month haha) with one of the cakes that we made. 

Viernes: We went with the Elders to Pata Gallina to visit one of our little abuelitos who is really sick. It was about an hour bus ride and about an hour walking from the main road but the country was beautiful. When he saw us all walk in the door, he started crying, it broke my heart. He couldn´t get up to greet us but I hope our visit strengthened him a little. Afterwards we went to look at the river that basically goes by their backyard and it was absolutley gorgeous, the pictures don't do it justice. When we finally got back to Morazan we only had time for one cita before it was time to go home and it was with an old lady and the 7 ducks in her house. 

Sábado: We went on a hike with Ashton and Morales at like 5 in the morning to see the sunrise from the mountain but it was really cloudy and the sun rose on the opposite side of the mountain so yeah. But it was still fun and really pretty. We went to Marybelles house and she fed us the tastiest soup and she gave us something that looked like cake but she called it a quesadilla so like it was kind of crumbly cheesy but sweet and I was confused, But literally I just want to spend like a week with her and learn all of her ways because she doesnt have much to work with but everything makes is soooo good. We went back to her house later after our appointments and made plantain chips dipped in an egg and flour mix and fried and it was so rico like why is everything that´s fried so tasty. 

Domingo: Calpa made arroz con leche y canela it was soooo good. The cinnamon here is so much better like it's fresh and not ground. We had 6 investigators come to church today! I really wish I could talk with them more but basically all I can do is smile. When we were sitting in sacrament meeting Hna Marybelle smoothed down my hair and it reminded me so much of my ma I legit teared up a little hahha. And our meeting was basically everyone that went to the temple in Tegucigalpa this week bearing terstimony of their experience. It was awesome and I really wish I could have gone. Later we went back to Hna Marybelles and made macheteadas and they're kind of like those fried scones, but we didn't have anything to put on them so it was just like fried bread... And I also tried bread made in those hornos that they have outside of their houses, it was super good but really crumbly. 

  • So there´s the update! God is good, the church is true, and if you're reading this I love you!

1 comment:

  1. I love these posts, thanks for sharing, and I love that she talks about the food A LOT

    ReplyDelete