Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Feliz Año Nuevo

Martes: Made the hour-long trip to Santa Rita for our zone meeting and we were only 20 minutes late. We talked about obeying the rules out of love for Jesus and how through Christ, a resolution to be perfect is actually attainable. Which is hard to imagine but I can dig it.
And while we were there, I got to pick up my package! I didn´t expect any christmas packages until like february but my aunts came through and they´re amazing and it made my week/month/year. 

Miércoles: so our New year´s eve... during the day we got fed torrejas? basically kind of like honduran french toast because it involves soaking a grain based thing in eggs. And the sugar is all carmelized. We went to a part member home for dinner at 7 but they weren´t ready until 9 so we sat around for a long time which would have been fine but we were scheduled for another dinner at 8 so there was a lot of apologizing done by the missionaries of morazan that day. But eventually Hna Ana Rosa came and picked us up and all 8 of us were in a 5-seater so it was nice and cozy. oh and get this, while we were driving to the other house, I SAW A GRINGO. An actual gringo, In the wild. But we were driving so I couldn´t talk to him and ask him what the heck he was doing in the streets of honduras at night on new years eve. 

Also the fireworks here are amazing. I don´t care too much for the loud ones in the streets. 
But at night, there were the huge, beautiful ones in the air, all over the place. I was standing on our pila on our back balcony so that I could see them all. They were literally everywhere, above main street, in the hills and mountains surrounding us, it was awesome. It was a little different from the time when I watched the Pismo firework show from the hot tub on Uncle Bob´s roof, but almost the same. 
























Jueves: I´m gonna teach ya´ll what baggy means. Okay, so it´s kind of like the term trunky, you don´t feel motivated to work, you miss home, you´re not depressed but it´s something like it. It happens to all missionaries but on Jueves my comp and I were super baggy and we didn´t do much! The whole town of morazan was sleeping off whatever they did new years eve so there wasn´t hardly anyone to talk to. Oh and apparently it's normal to eat armadillo here so I want to try it. 

Viernes: at lunch I watched one lady use a piece of hair to floss her teeth and another pulled a piece of thread out of her shirt and used that. And for 4 days we were worrying about one of our really old members because every time we tried to visit his family said he was sick. Turns out he was just getting turnt. So that was disappointing. And really sad. He´s in the hospital right now. Like I don´t understand why his family would let him get like that. Also later that day tiny kid, probably like two years old was yelling after me, guapa! guapa! mi amor! and Hna Calpa told me that I have a giper now, which is like a crush here or something. it was pretty funny


Sábado:  Sábado we talked to a lot of inactive members and tried to get them to come to church the following day.  I wish getting members out of investigators was as simple as ¨just add water¨ but after baptism, people don´t just automatically know what to do. We have a real hard time with retention here. People get baptized but then they stop going or they start drinking again or other things like that. And we ask so much of the members that are faithful because we only have so many people to go to when we need sunday school teachers and things like that.
We stood for 20 minutes and watched a girl make tortillas. It was kind of awkward. My comp said ¨pues, si¨ like every ten secons 

Domingo: we had six investigators come to church!

okay gotta go and have a picnic with the elders. We made chicken salad sandwiches, which is much harder when you have to shred the chicken by hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment