Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Feliz Navidad!


First of all, Feliz Navidad! This was a weird Christmas but definitely a good one that I will never forget.

Martes: we taught a lady that told us she doesnt celebrate christmas but she wouldnt give us a reason why not so that was strange. Also, everyone here I swear knows the bible way better than I do and they know everything they're supposed to do, like pray and read the scriptures and keep the commandments, but they don't do it! Blows my mind, like God is waiting to give them blessings, they just have to do what they are supposed to do! 
Also on Martes I had THE MOST HEAVENLY TAMALES OF MY LIIIIFE. They were actually spicy, the masa wasn't dry, the chicken inside was perfectly seasoned and cooked, I was in heaven. And this lady fed us tamales after my comp super macheted them and told them they were living in fornication since they weren't legally married. yeah. And later that day we had fried plantanas with mantequilla and I thought mantequilla was supposed to be butter but this stuff was like a cream cheese/sour cream stuff and it was sooooo good. And the drink we had with it was made with avena which is basically oatmeal but I thought it was just really good horchata at first. 
Sorry guys I feel like all I talk about it food but it's one of my favorite things so yeah. sorry. 



Miércoles: Christmas Eve.
So we went to Hna Rosita's para prestar servicio at like 7. But I swear the woman just wanted to talk but it was fine cus she gave us cake and the best lime tea I've had in my life, the woman grows magical limes in her back yard I swear. She finally let us help her sweep up her huge back yard for like 45 minutes and it was around 9 when her husband came home and insisted we have some chicken asada with tortillas so basically we ate more than we served.
 The whole week before and after christmas is super loud because there's all these kids running around setting of fireworks, and by kids, I mean little kids. little kids with explosives. A family invited us and the elders over for christmas eve, which was really nice. One of the girls goes to our church, she'
 s 23 and super nice and she has a 4 year old daughter that drew a picture of Hna Calpa and me. 


Jueves: Christmas day
So christmas day I put on my little christmas socks my mom sent me and sat down by the tree with my christmas orange. Gave myself a new toothbrush which was super sweet of me. Tried to play some christmas music but I think my music player is broken, I only get mariachi music from the radio setting. Made some little pancakes and pretended they were aebleskivers. 










We had a baptism at the river and we got to go this time! It was so awesome and I cant think of a better christmas present to the Savior than a commitment to follow him. We brought one of our investigators with us, she has a baptismal date and I really hope she follows through, she's so amazing and she even separated from her boyfriend because he didn't want to get married, she's awesome. 

Viernes: we helped someone move, ran out of bread so I made two pancakes so that I could have a pbj. Also, a lot of Catholics think the apostle Peter is still on the earth? We talked to a guy that got baptized a few years ago but he's stopped going to church. We asked him how he felt when he was baptized and he said he didn't feel anything. That made me so sad. 




Sabado: will forever be remembered as the day I ate 6 baleadas and almost died. These people do not take no for an answer when it comes to food. 

Domingo: the only investigators we brought to church were two little girls but they were great. They saw all the other kids getting treats from their moms so I found two jolly ranchers in my bag and I felt like a weird old lady but oh well. After church 6 of the young men and women from our little church went with us to talk to the less active members and it was so great. 

Merry Christmas! This is an awesome season, go tell your mother you love her

montón de amor, Hermana Nelson  

1 comment:

  1. I'm so excited your Dad shared this with me. I can't wait to read all your happenings! I'm so proud of you!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete