Monday, December 15, 2014

Morazan


A walk into "town" on p-day


So my trainer, mi mamá, is Hermana Calpa. She's from Colombia, I'm going to "kill" her in about three months (translation:she goes home from her mission in 3 months) AND SHE IS AN ANGEL. I really wish I spoke spanish better because she's so nice and she always talks about how she's only ever had gringas for companions and I know she wishes she had someone to talk to. And I was sick when she picked me up but she was always checking on me to see if I needed to go back to the apartment to rest, or if I needed medicine or anything. AND SHE MAKES ME PANCAKES. like literally if I don't have pancakes for breakfast, chances are I'll have them for dinner at 8 because that's when we get home from teaching investigators and members. We basically never eat dinner at people's houses which I'm okay with because I don't want to take their food and I also don't want to get sick. 
       We did have a late lunch at a member's house and I was super excited to try it, it was sopa de res. So it's basically beef soup but there's guineos in it, which is the name for bananas while they're still green. So the soup was super tasty and the guineos reminded me of bread fruit because it's kind of just starch. And I was super sick the next day but oh well. Also the other night we bought dinner at a little shack that was totally up to code, tajadas con pollo, and the fried guineo slices were fresh and the chicken was fried and I actually had an appetite, unlike the time I had the same in Lima. So I ate the whole thing and I didn't get sick the next day and I felt like a greasy champ. 
       God definitely knew what he was doing when he sent me to Honduras, I have officially retired my princess costume, We teach lessons sitting on dirt floors because some people don't own any chiars, kids just pop a squat anywhere, if they need to relieve themselves, dogs and cats are everywhere but they are basically there to help with gabage, our apartment is a palace because we have running water inside instead of outside. I know I'll see a lot more in the next 17 months, but as of right now, I don't turn my nose up at anything. Why should I?
view from the front window
  The only thing separating me from any of these amazing people is circumstance. I don't know why I've been so blessed since I haven't worked for anything I have. But I haven't felt any resentment, these people are so loving and nice. They just ask my companion what happened to the other white girl, my companion says "se fue", and they're just like, aw that's too bad, we really liked Hermana Bacon. But then they kiss me on the cheek and say "bienvenidos". 
Did I mention everyone is super nice? Walking home last night a whole group of guys yelled that they loved me but I feel like maybe that's the only English they know.


View of Morazan from our balcony
       So my first sunday was nice, we don't really have a bishop, we're an extension of the Santa Rita ward so we don't have a branch president either. Mi papá, Elder Ashton, basically runs the show. Our services are in Hermana Ana Rosa's back yard and I think I already mentioned that the class for the kids is in a shed. Oh and I'm the choir pianist. So that's nice. I got to talk to Elder Ashton a couple times yesterday and it was the first conversation I had in English for a while so it was a little weird. He said I had to try the baleadas here, apparently they're better than the ones in Lima or something. 
       




 I'm excited to talk to you all on christmas and if you wanted to know, we almost always write from 2 to 4 on our preparation days. I don't know why we don't later in the day but that's what Hna Calpa likes and I literally follow her around like a lost puppy and she translates everything for me from honduran slang to slow, proper spanish. I love her. Anyways, see you guys in like holy cow 11 days! I don't know what is going to happen if I'm going to call or skype, or what time of day.... we'll see! 
montón de amor!           your girl Hermana Nelson

No comments:

Post a Comment