Friday, December 12, 2014

In Country

Here's a picture of me in the CCM where it kind of looks like christmas! With the honduran flag above me! But anyways, mexico is weak sauce, I'm in Honduras now and I've been here for 3 days so I'm basically a pro and fluent in spanish now. ha. Half of my district from the CCM was in the same mission as I was so we all traveled together which was nice. Our mission president, his wife, and two sets of missionaries met us at the airport and they got us Wendys which was super nice of them but I was still feeling kind of sick so I didn't really get to appreciate my last mostly american and safe meal. 
My comp from the CCM, Hna Haight and I got to go with the sister missionaries and after we got dropped off at the apartment to put away our luggage, we went on our first bus ride. It wasn't even a bus, it was like a van with a bus load of people crammed inside and a remix of Sweet dreams are made of this, blasting in our ears and with people stopping the bus trying to sell plastic baggies of juice and fried banana slices. It was awesome. Haight and I were just like omg we're in Honduras! But we didn't really get anything else done that day, we actually spent most of our time waiting at a different bus stop, apparently transportation is a bit sketch. We eventually got to dinner at a member's home at around 7pm and it was a huge plate of fried banana slices, some diced onions and vegetables salsa, and fried chicken. And horchata, which I was stoked about and it was super bien. 

Apparently most of the missionaries in the San Pedro Sula Este mission went to the Guatemala mtc, so there was a bigger group of about 14 that came in from there on tuesday. Then we had our actual orientation and we did a super contact which basically means we get paired with an experienced missionary and we go out and try to talk to people. Except for in Honduras, we dont knock on doors, we just stand outside and yel BUENAS, BUENAS TARDES, and if people want to talk to us they come to the door. So that was fun. 

Today was transfer day, so we waited a really long time at the appartment for our ride and then we took all of our luggage to the church and had a transfer meeting. There were some missionaries who were leaving and they didn't look too haggard so hopefully i wont get too ratchet. Okay so when my mission president told me about my first area, he started out by asking if I knew what was smaller congregation than a branch in the church. I was just like ummmm i don't know I thought that since a branch was smaller than a ward in the church, nothing else is smaller. Then he goes and tells me that I'm going to be serving in Morazán, and that all they have there is called an extension, which is a smaller congregation than a branch. And they don't have a building, they meet in a house, sometimes in the backyard, and the sunday school classes for the kids is in a shed. so needless to say, I'm stoked! So I've spent basically all day trying to get to Morazán and it's been super rainy and I've had to transfer a lot of buses and it was confuzing but I eventually got to mi mamá, or my trainer, and she's super nice. Our house is surprisingly really nice. I mean, we have a bucket instead of a shower head but I can dig it, and heads up if you're ever in honduras, don't flush the toilet paper. you're supposed to throw it in the trash can next to you. And don't even use the water to brush your teeth, luckily it's pretty easy to buy bottled water. And before we left, we were all issued legit bottles with filters built in. 

I don't have any pictures of Honduras right now because I'm afraid to have my camera with me porque ladrones pero hopefully I will on monday when I hopefully write again! Much love from HONDURAS!

No comments:

Post a Comment