Tuesday, February 3, 2015

Beware the Fuerte Ojos!

So I don't really  have anything for the bloggy right now. Our plan today was for our zone and like 3 others to go to Tela (the beach). And I was excited because mi amigo Elder Glines serves there and I haven't seen the ocean in a long time. So we woke up at 5 this morning so that we could catch the bus to meet the other missionaries and then we all took a bus just us missionaries which was really cool. But we got like an hour and half away and the bus broke down! In the countryside! So long story short we spent most of our time waiting for them to fix the bus and then finally we took a bus passing by back to Progreso where we all started and we had Wendy's for lunch so the day wasn't a total flop because I got to have french fries with a frosty to dip them in. And of course a bacon cheeseburger because I'm watching my figure. But yeah we got back to Morazan finally and then went straight to this internet cafe to write home so I dont have my card reader to download any pictures.

Martes: We had our district meeting but I don't really remember what we talked about because I was waiting for the Sister Training Leaders to arrive at any second and I was super nervous to do divisions with them because I've never really done them before! So basically they're like the main sister missionaries for our zone and they come and one of them goes with my comp on teaching appointments and another goes with me and they like evaluate how we're doing. And really it didn't seem like it would be that bad but like everyone I talked to even the Sister Training Leaders themselves said that they really don't like divisions. So that's why I was nervous. But I ended up going with Hermana Peterson from Utah and she was super maciza and we talked in English between our lessons which was nice too. But yeah, directing those lessons by myself is hard! Usually I just make comments or teach concepts and bear my testimony. But like my companion wasn't there so I had to make small talk which absolutely terrifies me and I also had to ask questions and stuff throughout the lesson you know, check for comprehension and all that goodness. And what I realized is that I've been focusing way too much on how much I can't understand these people and how poor their enunciation is compared to the teachers I had in Mexico that I hadn't thought too much about how they cant understand me either! So I have a new goal to work on my enunciation and my comp has been helping me so I think it's been improving but yeah! It was definitely an eye opener! Talk about a beam in my own eye. Also during divisions we visited a member that was baptized last year but still doesn't have the priesthood because he doesnt like wearing white shirts! So I talked to him about how great a blessing the priesthood was in my life with dad and my brothers and he said that he would try and wear a white shirt on sunday! But I told my companion later and she said that he's said the same thing before but he doesnt follow through.  But yeah divisions are weird because they stayed the night and our apartment seems a lot smaller with four people in it. And I was trying not to have a break down when they were walking in their outside shoes on my clean floor. So in the end, divisions weren't so bad because the Hermana that I was with was really helpful and supportive and not judgmental, so yeah! 

Miércoles: So I learned about this belief that a lot of people have here. Certain people have fuerte vista, or fuerte ojos, and they can kill things just by looking at them. But not big things, just like babies or baby animals or like a part of someones body. So they put red strings on lambs and babies to protect them and if someone looks at you that has the fuerte vista, then they have to touch your hair or your arm or your nose or whatever so that they don't damage it with their sight. So yeah ya gotta watch out for that. 
In other non weird news we've been working a ton with our newly baptized guiros but they are just all over the place it's really hard to get them in one place and get them focused. Also their grandma is sick and in the hospital so the oldest, Heydi, basically has to cook for all of the kids and a surprising amount of full grown uncles that still live at home? But yeah she was so busy the poor thing we just taught the mom of Henry and Rosa instead about supporting her children in their decision to be baptized and being a good example to them. There's a lot of yelling and harsh language in these households, it's super sad. 

Jueves: We did a lot of contacting. It was still mostly Calpa but I'm pretty sure I could do it if I had to! Also it's kind of rare if people say that they dont want to talk to us. Like if they don't want to talk to us they just dont answer. But like if they answer they're like yes of course, I can't reject anyone that preaches the word of God. Because they're all like super religious superstitious right? So yeah that's nice that they don't reject us but at they same time, we talk to so many people and spend so much time talking to people that nod their head the whole time and agree with everything but we know that they aren´t going to change anything. We leave them pamphlets to read and they don´t read them. Or we ask them to pray and ask God if what we´re teaching is true, but they don't. 
But the few that actually do are super awesome so there's that! While we were contacting I also realized that our area is really big but also gorgeous! I just want to go through and take all the trash out of the streams, it would be so much prettier. 

Viernes: We talked to this Catholic guy that really new his stuff in the Bible and was super proud of it. But he was really surprised at how well my comp could answer all of his questions and contest all of his objections so that was really cool and yeah I need to read the Bible more! They love quoting scriptures and I even heard about this guy that basically has the whole New Testament memorized! So yeah I need to work on my Santa Biblia reading. 
We shared a video with one of the families that we're teaching and we brought a member a long and in the end it was basically just the member and the hermanas watching the video because everyone else either got distracted with their phones or kids or left. So that was really frustrating. A real patience building experience haha. 

Sábado: More contacting! And we talked with Celbin, they oldest in the family that we're teaching, and his mom and throughout the lesson he had really good questions and did all of his reading and at the end of the lesson we set a date for his baptism and for his mom too! And in the evening we went to a member's house that we always like visiting and I think this is the first time we went and we didnt eat anything! But that's because we were fasting. But she still insisted on sending us home with these little donut things.,

Domingo: the two guiros that were baptized like 3 weeks ago still havent been confirmed! They didnt go to church on sunday which is crazy because we were at their house that morning helping Heydi make tortillas (correction:my companion helped and I watched because we all decided that my tortilla making was sub par and impeding the process) so literally we left for like 15 minutes to go bring some people to church that we contacted the day before and the kids split. So I dont know what we're going to do about that...

Anyway that's all for this week, a montón de amor directamente de Morazan!  

No comments:

Post a Comment