Monday, February 16, 2015

Morazan Corazon


I didn't have a Valentine this year but here in Morazan, I get told ¨I love you baby!¨ pretty much every day and yesterday this guy in the street was hollering ¨marry me gringa, yo quiero casarme contigo I love you! Gringa I love you!´.
So yeah I'm feeling the amor y amistad!

Lunes: We had a family home evening of sorts with fam R and we had another type of tamale whaaaaat I dont have my notebook with me this week so I can't tell you the name of them but it was made with maiz but this time it wasn't just masa, it had chicken in sauce in a stripe down the middle so it was kind of like the mexican tamales that I'm used to but they didnt feel like putting the chicken filling inside so it's just on top. 

We watched the Testaments movie with them when the whole family was finally all there. We didn't get to finish it because we have a super early curfew as missionaries (9:00 and in bed by 10:30!)
But this family is great because they've been taught by the elders for a while and one of the daughters got baptized last year, her brother has a baptismal date for later this month, and the youngest girl just finally got permission from her mom to get baptized! And we didn't know it when we started working family L, our investigators, but it turns out that the oldest daughter in the family that my companion and I are teaching is dating the oldest son in the family that the elders are teaching and both families are really good friends! So this could either be really good or really bad depending on if their faith is stronger than their relationship...

Martes: we traveled to Santa Rita to meet up with the rest of our zone. And this was our first meeting since transfers and we got a "baby"! He's fresh out of the ccm and I'm not gonna lie, I got a little bit of satisfaction, it's been a while since I've had to listen to someone with worse Spanish than mine! 
But my comp says that I've improved a lot. I just need to figure out how to understand Spanish that's not castellano... but I'm really glad that I don't get as frustrated as much as I used to. 
Afterwards we went to lunch with only half of our elders and we got fried fish and I've never eaten a fish that could look at me! Also I think it's funny that none of us even touched the silverware. My comp always says that she feels disconnected from her food when she uses a fork. I think I already said that before but she says it all the time so whatevaaah.

Miércoles: Woke up early to prepare one of the member's house for the activity that we were going to have in the evening. We swept their huge yard and half of the elders came to help. Well actually the elders showed up when we were sitting there with the Hermana with our teacups and cakes on the table but after they showed up we went to work! And when we were finished organizing everything and brought the chairs, the Hermano told us that he wanted to make the ground wet so that it wouldnt look so dusty? I left california when we were in a drought so I was like you want me to what?! But yeah we got our little buckets and started bringing water from the pila and throwing it on the dirt in their backyard and of course it ended in a water fight and I was absolutley soaked and cold. But the hermano thanked us and said that it looked much better now that all the ground was wet....
Later on my companion and I came back to help the hermana make pupusas! and this lady is like my honduran grandma I love her so much she was so supportive of my awkward pupusa making! And for those who, like past me, don't know what pupusas are, it's basically tortillas de maseca but there's quesillo inside and also this other stuff that I cant remember the name of... chicharron. It's like pork meat. We also made tacos mexican style with real salsa that was actually picante and I was in heaven! you never really appreciate mexican food until you live somewhere that doesn't have it. It's hard to imagine not having access to mexican food when you're from Bakersfield.  
So the activity that we had that night was really good and we played this game that involved questions from the gospel and throwing tied up balls of Elder Montiel's clothes that he left behind when he ended his mission in the bonfire.

Jueves: We helped this lady clean her house and I was sweeping and she asked my companion if I ever swept before since I'm from the United States. And I was like yes but we sweep differently so I'm always embarrassed to sweep infront of people here! They use every broom like a push broom and I don't... But it's really funny that none of the latinos think that gringos can do anything. Like people ask me if I can cook and I say sure! and then they ask me if I can make tortillas ¨no¨ tamales? ´tampoco´ entonces ella no puede cocinar! and Im just like well -frick- I guess you're right, you need to teach me! It's pretty funny. and even my companion told me that she used to think the same of norte Americanos. 

Also in case you guys were wondering about the housing market in morazan, if a house is for sale, they spray paint that information directly on the house.
Viernes: We woke up dark and early to catch a bus to gooooo and milk vacas! So cows are really stinky and gross and kind of scary but I milked one! It was intense let me tell you. Elder Ashton is from Idaho and he was grinning like a little kid. He's so country it's hilarious. And he keeps starting singing country songs and stopping because he knows I'll sing the rest of it. I feel a little used as a human ipod. But the hermano that owns the finca gave us cups of milk straight from the cow and it was all steaming and frothy yum... But we got to feed the baby cows with bottles and it was really cute I think I got some pretty tender pictures of that d'awwwww. 


 Walking back to take the bus afterwards we saw a bridge so we went afterwards we saw a bridge so we went to go take pictures on it and it made me think of the swinging bridge in Arroyo Grande that we always take pictures on. But this one swings a lot more and it's about half as sturdy and like three times the size!



Sábado: My companion and I bought everything to make tacos for the elders and family L so that we could have a valentines day dinner with them. We cooked two whole chickens and shredded them by hand, I got to make the salsa and there was a ton of jalapeños to be sure! The hermana that was letting us use her kitchen said that she didnt want any of the salsa because it was too spicy and I was worried that nobody was going to want to eat it but by the time we had dinner i guess the jalapeños calmed down or something because everyone loved it! And Calpa and I were a little daunted by having to make so many tortillas but as we were making the masa one of friends of our investigators was like I can make tortillas like nobody's business so were were like knock yourself out! So she comes back an our later with a TON of HUGE corn tortillas, I´ve literally never seen tortillas so big and perfect before it was crazy. So all in all the dinner turned out to be a success and everyone loved the food and the salsa and the chimol turned out great! 

Domingo: nothing much happened besides having the best baleadas of my honduran life so far and working really hard with our investigators. It really amazes me how much we have to plead with people to actually care! Like it feels wrong to me sometimes, this gospel is so precious to me and I have to work with people to actually get them to want it! I feel like a physical trainer sometimes. Like I know that this will really benefit these people and improve their lives and they know that too, but they don't want to do it! I've really had to work on not letting that deteriorate the significance that this gospel has for me just because most of these people regard it as nothing. But it's super awesome when people actually have an interest and want to change. I love love love love it. 



¡Hoy!: we went to a different finca and Elder Ashton got to milk a different cow! But really this property was super gorgeous and reminded me of a greener california, I loved it. And this time I was prepared for my fresh cow milk with a baggy of Nesquick and a little plastic spoon. Everyone didnt believe me at first but they just dont know how I roll. 

Anyway that's all for this week hopefully nextime I'll have my little notebook and the update wont be so crazy, but I love you all and the church is true and its awesome!




No comments:

Post a Comment