Tuesday, May 19, 2015

It's the Little Things, or "Freckle On My Foot"

Lunes: Cleaned out the fridge and got rid of all the ice covering the freezer part. Felt like mom because it was always something that she had to do and a little like a maniac because it included chipping away the ice with a knife in a stabbing motion.
Had a family home evening with our abuelitos. Loved it.

Martes: We had our interviews with president. I was so focused on memorizing the 10 scriptures that we should have memorized that I didnt really think about what I needed help with and what to ask him. I just knew that I wanted to talk to him as long as I could. He told me that his lovely wife has been reading this blog and that statement definitely caused some reflection on my part to see if I had written anything too crazy. 
The taco that I had for lunch and the jamaica juice was really good, in case you were wondering.

Miérocles: For me, one of the saddest verses in the Book of Mormon is Omni 1:2 ¨Mas he aquí, en cuanto a mí, yo soy inicuo, y no he guardado los estatutos y mandamientos del Señor como debía haberlo hecho.¨ 
"But behold, I of myself am a wicked man, and I have not kept the statutes and the commandments of the Lord as I ought to have done."
Some parts of the scriptures sum up entire lives in one or two verse. This made me think, 
'what would my verse say?" With no room for excuses, no space to explain circumstances or ratio of good to bad. Just "did you walk after the ways of the Lord or not?"
Ahhh it's really weird, but I love studying the scriptures. Sometimes I just want to stay home and study all day. But if I don't go out and share what I've learned and put those principles to work, I'd just be getting spiritually fat. If we eat a lot we need to exercise a lot as well.
In one of the lessons a baby pigeon was trying to eat the freckle on my foot. It kept pecking at it and I was just like "sorry lil guy, it's attached pretty good."

One of our investigators wasn't home and it was her younger sister Carla that told me she wasn't there. And we were about to leave but I was like "well, how about we teach you instead?"
She was super receptive, and that's why I thought she had received lessons from the missionaries before. But when I asked her she said no, not even once. And the missionaries have been teaching her family for over a year off and on.
I got kind of nerdy excited because she's so receptive and smart but she has a lot of social anxiety so we just need to push her a little, but not too much.

Jueves: Went to La Paz for the meeting for the training of my companion. I talked to Elder Magalei and it made me miss Hawaii so much- but including him, I've only met one other missionary that's going to BYU Hawaii after the mission. Literally everyone else from the states is going to BYU in Provo hah. 

Got to talk to my family in the evening, it was great!  MOTHERS DAY - phone call

Viernes: Made flour tortillas to practice for an activity on saturday. They turned out alright...
Oh and okay so we passed by this house and we heard this creeeeepy voice telling us to come over there and preach over there. But when I looked over I didn't see anything weird just this normal young lady and I'm pretty sure it wasn’t her...


Sábado: So apparently the name for the tablet with the 10 commandments is called the decalog.
Remember Carla? We took her to see some baptisms and she really liked it! And while we were waiting to leave for the baptisms we were at a members house and we started talking about temples and the hna there showed Carla a magazine just about temples and she thought they were all gorgeous (well duh) and she wants to go when the ward goes in June!


Later we made baleadas and my flour tortillas actually turned out pretty good! Even one Honduran girl was like "why can this gringa make tortillas and I can't?" hahah


Choir Practice!

Domingo: Church was normal. But afterwards we had choir practice and as you probably know I'm the choir director, so I took a selfie with my choir. Where they are seated is basically the chapel. That's where we meet for our meetings. 

Today: I played futbol for like the 5th time in my life and the latinos were suuuuuper patient with me, hahaha. I'm such a clutz. I only played like 30 minutes and then I watched for a long time and this little kid with no shoes was schooling everyone, it was awesome. After a while we went with two other Elders to buy everything and then we went to a members house and made carne asada. There was like 20 elders I think and they eat a lot! But it was fun and I was glad we went even though I suck at soccer and we were the only hermanas and I know the elders think the sister missionaries are a bit of a bore but whatever hahah. 
I love you and miss you and bake something with butter and think of me okay? 

No comments:

Post a Comment