Monday, March 9, 2015

God Loves His Children

This week this guy in one of our lessons used the "tú" form with me and I was like "excuuuuuse me????"
Everyone's latin country is different but ya gotta watch your forms of addressing, people! 
In Paraguay, they use the "vos" form for everyone but here and in Colombia as well, you only call people 'vos' if you're really close to them or know them really well.
Lil' spanish lesson...

"Grandota"
Martes: We didn't have a district meeting but we did meet up with my DL and his comp for carne asada and they checked our carpeta de area. I'm still so bad with all the paperwork of the mission. I feel like there's so much I don't know and I can never remember what I already learned.
Also I'm getting a little tired of being called "grandota" by random people. Also all I've had ganas for lately is fresh corn tortillas and frijoles and quesillo and eggs or hamón. All I want. Just that. I could eat that probably everday. errrday. 

Miercoles: Reunión con Elder Duncan de la Setenta. It was really good. we got real macheted but it was all good. I learned that I need to change. If I want different results in my work, I need to do something different. Also, as children of God, we live beneath our priveleges. We could have so many blessings but we think that living our way is better or maybe that we don't deserve better. But we do. He also told us that the people that we teach and baptize should have a vision of having an eternal family. 
And that as missionaries, we should look at our wards or branches and envision them as stakes. He said that we should try and set a goal to return to our areas in 15 to 20 years. Check!  Basically it all comes down to if we're going to fall into the pace that the Lord is setting for his work or continue in the pace and manner that we feel comfortable? Basically, do I want to actually be helpful in this work or am I here to be comfortable? Bam. Sin excusa. 
Sometimes when we are expected to do things,  you can't ask "do I WANT to do that?" You gotta ask yourself "Am I ABLE to do that?" 

Those are just some of my notes of like six hours of Elder Duncan along with little thoughts and additions by our beloved presidente Klein. My head was finna explode by the end of it all. We didn't get home until like 6 and we left the house that morning at fiiiive. 
I got to talk to my favorite elders Crosgrove and Glines for like 10 minutes and take a picture with them so that was great.


I also like this quote a lot "[Remember] without ceasing, your work of faith, and labor of love, and patience of hope in our Lord Jesus Christ" 

Jueves: Let's talk about how we don't have a toilet in our apartment and how we have to go next door to use the facilities. On second thought, let's not.
 My companion thinks that we should look for an apartment closer to the main street. 
We had a noche de hermanamiento at a recent convert's house, we played games and made macheteadas and one of our investigators told us that he wanted to be baptized but only if his soccer team won the game that was playing on the tv at that moment. And we told him that's not how it works, but we're still working with him to prepare him for batism. 

Viernes: Wedding day! Fam R got married finally. But yeah look at me, ma, my comp helped me make a three layer wedding cake with cherry frosting in between the layers and I was super proud of it :) 

We talked a lot to our investigators about having a desire to change. It's hard to talk about change in a country that has been eating basically the same thing for breakfast lunch and dinner for hundreds of years
 but we're doing it! 

We tried this new restaurant and it was really good we had sopa de marinera but the lobster was overcooked I think. The weird thing about restaurants here is that they always have a ton of tables but no patrons. I feel like I've said this before. But it's true and it's weird. And they don't know what service is which makes me feel really american and a little indignant sometimes haha. But it's not part of their culture. 

More quotes: "Can the spiritual strength that results from consistent obedience to the commandments be given to another person? The clear answer...is no" Elder Bednar
"Las personas que viven en el pasado no tienen mucho futuro" E-z B
"Ever learning, and never able to come to the knowledge of the truth" 2 Tim 3:7

Sábado:
I was so anxious for today and now it's over. We basically just had topogios for dinner. We literally have like no food in our house and we haven´t for a week haha. We got to go to the baptism of fam R and it was so sos osossososooooo great! This family has gone through so much to be ready to make this beautiful promise with our Heavenly Father. 

Domingo: We did divisions and I went with two girls, one was just recently baptized. I'm still no good at the small talk in the lessons but let's be honest I was never good at that in English either. 

And that's the update!
I still don't know everything, but I know God loves his children. 
Have a good week and know that I love you!


No comments:

Post a Comment