Wednesday, March 18, 2015

Iguana anyone?


Martes: Absolutley do not love shopping here. It's like the exact opposite of the restaurants, the people are wayyyy attentive and all up in your business like worse than Buckle. Like I know what I want and If I need help I'll ask you and it'll be easy because this store is so tiny you literally could not be more than fifteen feet away at any given time!
Also we waited more than ten minutes for a liquado of just banana. Literally just banana. Like at Jamba Juice, I'd wait for like five minutes and they would think I was crazy if I said I just wanted a banana smoothie. And not even yogurt, just milk. whew.

We talked with an investigator and he asked if someone outside the church, if they were a really good person, could have the priesthood. So I tried to explain priesthood authority and how that works but he didn't get it. I need a primary lesson book or something because I don't know how to teach kids at all but the some adults here are like kids. You have to use examples and really basic words. 

Afterwards we talked with one of our recent converts and it took her a few guesses but she identified the picture of Joseph Smith as Joseph Smith! poco a poco. She's super pilas.
Then we went to Hna I's and my comp made a chinga de tortillas de maiz bien ricas. I just cooked the scrambled eggs and turned over the tortillas as best as I could. Those catrachas make it look so easy I don't know why I expected the pan that we were cooking them on to not be so hot. But it was very hot. Very hot indeed. And poor Hna "I" didn't have any, just soup and a slice of bread because the doctors told her that her Honduran diet is finally catching up to her. But I think that if she starts following the word of wisdom more closely she'll really be blessed. I need to work on that. But I love me some hot fresh corn tortillas with scrambled eggs and cheese and frijoles. Luv it. And fresco de tamarindo.
Miércoles: My first time doing yard work with a machete and I'm all beat up with blisters and gnarliness. I'm glad we could help this old couple though. They're my abuelitos here and they're so cute. 
We went and taught señora O and her daughter and she is so nice but she said that she can't leave her church, she's catholic and all of her friends are catholic. So it's like okay do you want the truth or do you want to be comfy?

Oh and now I have like one of those stories of weird things I ate while I was on my mission. Iguana eggs! and a little bit of iguana meat too. I told Calpa that we just ate a family and how does that make you feel. But yeah actually pretty tasty. They were boiled. yup. Iguana eggs.

Jueves: We taught a guy while he was drunk and he tried to hug me several times and he smelled real bad.
But it lifted our spirits when we talked to one of our investigators con fecha bautismal and I went over the baptismal questions with him and he has a testimony of the Book of Mormon and he really wants to change, he's great. He just needs to go to church.
I've gone like a week without peanutbutter or oatmeal and it's killing me. 
Hna M fed us a turkey that I've nown since December, he was tasty. But was a lil sad. Also I've decided that I want to make topogios for the rest of the summers of my life. They make so much more sense than popsicles. 

Viernes: We went to go chop in the yard of our abuelos again and ended up sitting there for a long time waiting for the elders and we ended up also eating pan and tea and we also ended up chopping some wood by ourselves until they finally arrived and we made some baleadas. Well I made tha masa and like three or four hideous baleadas and Calpa made the rest. In my defense the hornija was realllly hot and that affected my baleada making.
We visited a family that hasn't gone to church in a long time but their daughter has started going again but by herself! We made macheteadas and had them folded with chimol and frijoles inside. And we talked to them and they told us that the reason they don't go to church here is because we don't have a church! Well I mean, we don't have chapel. And they said that they feel uncomfortable going to someone's backyard for church, the mom said that she feels like God deserves better. But I was like ummmm where was Jesus born?? Well I didn't actually say that but I guess I can understand what they're getting at, it's definitely different sitting in sacrament meeting and there's a stray dog walking down the aisle. 

Sábado: So this was the day that two of the missions in Honduras, San Pedro Sula Este and San Pedro Sula Oeste, got together to listen to Elder Niel L Andersen of the Quorum of the twelve apostles, Elder Dean A Davies of the presiding bishopric, and Elder Maynes but I can't remember what his position is. There were more than 500 missionaries in this really big chapel in San Pedro, it was so awesome to see! And I got to see my compaion from the MTC and the two elder that came with us, I was soooo happy to see them and especially Hna Haight my old comp because I haven't seen her since last year. I took a lot a lot of notes at this conference. But the focus was Jesus Christ, and how we can't teach about his sacrifice for us until we recieve a personal testimony of repentance. We just cant. Not effectively anyway. 
Elder Niel L Anderson, in his french-influenced spanish told us that if we want to be successful (like okay yes please I'm listening) we need to memorize 10 scriptures to use in our lessons. 5 in the new testament and 5 in the book of mormon. So I'm really excited to do this and if anyone has any suggestions of scriptures that are really good for missionary work and explaining effectively the principles of salvation, diga me! 

The whole meeting went by super faast and I feel like I hardly got to talk to my baes from the CCM at all but we managed to get in a picture and my hair was ratchet. Oh and I keep trying to explain the word ratchet to my dad in the mission but he's not getting it. 
We got pizza as a zone afterwards and it was really good but the poor baby gringo in our zone is so lost. And his dad in the mission is already losing his pacience a little bit! But I know first hand how hard it is being new, but you gotta be humble or no one is going to want to help you. Oh and by next month, there's only going to be 5 gringas in the mission! Oh and at the conferencia I saw the Hermana from Georgia whose blog I was reading to prepare for the mission! Oh and on the way home from San Pedro we drove past an actual swim meet and it made me a little baggy.
Domingo: My companion gave her last discurso of her mission! My papá in the mission gave his last discurso in morazan. I cried a lil bit. 
After church I helped one of the girls prep guineo, avoided teaching one of the girls piano, and talked with the other missionaries for a good while.
One of the newly baptized members, (she's only 12!) went with us on 3 citas and she was sad when we had to take her home because it was getting late. Then we went to an investigator's house and had realllllly good baleadas and made friends with an iguana. 

Lunes: We went to the banks of the river cuyamapa with some of the elders and ate doritos and talked about transfers. And that's when we got the call that I was going to be a trainer. Right after I had just finished my own training! We spent most of the day saying goodbye to the members. 

Martes: I got to the meeting for the people that are going to train and I got to see my fav, hna Haight! We were both the trainers with the least amount of time in the mission, only 3 months in our areas! But yeah we endured the long meeting and at the end they told us the flights got canceled for the incoming missionaries. So we had to go back wednesday morning to pick them up because the next flight would bring them in 10 tuesday night. So since Hna Haight's area is super far away I got to take her back to Morazan with me and we had a little sleepover and I miss her as my companion so much. I hope we get to be companions again sometime in the next 14 months.
Oh and we had too many going away dinner for my companion we almost died of overeating #honduras

New Companions!
Miercoles: I had to say goodbye to Hna Calpa. And that was really hard. I learned so much from her and I really have never relied on someone so much before. But after that I got to go pick up my hija, and her name is Hermana Enriquez and she's from Cochabamba, Bolivia. She's a convert and she's so cute and she should be really tired, I don't know what's wrong with her but literaly the first thing she wanted to do was go proselyting. I think her energy is going to be really good for this area. 
Oh and a little moment of orgullo for me, so we got two new elders in our district, one is new just like my comp and he's from cochabamba as well, and the other is from Florida. And I was talking to the one from Florida and he has a little more time in the mission than I do and he asked me how many months I had in the mission. So I asked him how many months he thinks I have and he said I would think about 14? And I was like try almost 4 months. But yeah! I was super nervous about my spanish with my new comp but so far we have been able to understand each other pretty well! And I've been trying to act confident like I know what I'm doing (fake it til you make it, am i right) and I think it's been working a little bit! And she's really excited for pday for some reason and she keeps telling me that she's going to make me food and I'm like well I can't complain. So yeah we're gonna see how this goes. I came to the realization durring lunch that in my district, I have the most time in Morazan out of everyone. That's a little scary.   

No comments:

Post a Comment