Monday, March 2, 2015

"Life in a Nutshell"

I finished reading the Book of Mormon this week. In Español! 
I don't remember when I started but it was some time early last month. 

Martes: We went to Santa Rita for our district meeting but my package still hasn't arrived yet= sad Nelson. Talked with my district leader on the ride home about home made bread and Lady Gaga. Had Pollolandia (fast food chicken) as a district and it was almost too much for me. It was the first time in a while that I haven't picked every bone clean. I gotta stop eating so much! After lunch, Elder Mendieta asked if there was an ice cream place, we were like yeah, like 5 or 6 blocks that way. But he actually wanted to get ice cream! So we were like okayyyyy and Elder Ashton thought that the cheesecake icecream had queso in it and he was real confused for a hot minute. But yeah, after that we taught our lessons for the day and we went to Hna I's house and she fed us and afterwards we had..... more icecream! Not quite as good as the cone I had earlier though. But while I was eating my ice cream I was thinking about the last time I had ice cream in a cone and it was in Denmark in that fishing port, Hanstholm, with mom and dad and Nick...and before that in my favorite city in the world Bergen, Norway.  So crazy to think that was September! My how things have changed :) 

Miércoles: One of the members went out with us but our appointments fell, so really we only had her for one and this guy was saying that Jesus appeared to him and talked to him. So that was interesting. These people are very religious and it's great, but some get so confused. 

Jueves: Heydi and Rosa (they just got baptized in January) went with us on two citas. They are so good and trying to change for the better, it's great. Right now I have to say stuff in our lessons even if I don't really have anything to say. Before, it was only when I really wanted to say something maybe I could get a word in. But now I have to talk even when I don't have anything to say like during our lessons I'm always searching for promptings from the Holy Ghost because if I'm just talking because my comp wants me to, I feel like the investigators aren't getting anything out of it and I'm not really sure how to make the lesson progress. I also feel like I've been having more problems with the language this week maybe because I'm not as careful because I'm not as scared to speak. But I'll have more time to study Spanish because I don't have to do my "First 12 Weeks progress" stuff anymore, now that it's been more than 12 weeks in the mission field and we're done with all that stuff, yayyyyy. 
oh and today I went out on a limb and made rice with onions, chicken, brocoli, and carrots and I only burned it a little! 

Oh and here's a thought. What if in the mission: if you didn't obey and do what you agreed to do, you woudn't be allowed to go home and see your parents? That would be crazy right? I think almost all of the missionaries would try super hard to be good. Well, that's this life on earth in a nutshell. 

Viernes: Lesson learned during contacting: if you cant think of anything to be grateful for, be thankful for running water and the fact that you can read because you had the opportunity to go to school. 

We went to family "M" and we made baleadas but I mixed up the masa, the member that we brought with us is getting ready for her mission and she helped us make the baleadas. We also made fresco de avena and we used the banana flavored oatmeal and I thought it turned out really good. 
Afterwards we visited family "L",  I missed part of our lesson because I was in the bathroom. But something that I thought was pretty cool, while I was gone, Calpa casually said that the oldest daughter should read sec 76 of D&C because she would be able to find a lot of answers there. And later towards the end of the lesson I told her that she should look in sec 76 and study that. Without knowing that Calpa had suggested it earlier. But yeah it's real difficult with this family because they are having a hard time receiving answers to their prayers about the veracidad of this gospel. 

Sábado: We talked to a couple that said Jesus is our father spiritually and we were like okay cheque, but then they went on to say that Mary is our mother spiritually. okay no cheque. And apparently they have problems with the idea that Mary had other kids after Jesus, they really don't really like the thought of that. 

Then we talked to this dude and his wife for a long time and one of the many things that he said was that the forbidden fruit was figurative and that it actually meant the body of Eve. So that was different. 

Domingo: So we were fasting but when we went to the family  "L" house to bring them to church they gave us some pan and leche. The pan had hormigas (ants) on it and one fell in my milk. But like the little hormigas, and those things are basically everywhere like it's normal to talk to someone with one or two ants crawling on them like it's not even worth saying anything. 

Church was gooood. Lunch afterwards at Hermana I's,  frijoles y mantequilla and rice with peas, raisins, hamón de pollo and corn tortillas in case you were wondering. 
Later we went to a less involved member of the church's house and we shared a message about self sufficiency and boy is that a difficult word in Spanish. But yeah right now the church in Central America is focusing on spiritual and temporal self-sufficiency. So we're giving calendars to our contacts and the members, that track FHE, tithing, fast offerings, daily prayer and scripture study, and family history work. It's a lot! As a missionary I've yet to pay my fast offerings. I need to get on that. ANd on Mondays when I have access to a computer all I want to do is write my family and friends but it's a new rule in the mission that we should be doing family history work as well. 

Oh and I had tamarind straight from the tree for the first time and it was pretty tasty. 
Pacaya

After that we went to Hermana H's house and made baleadas! I only made two tortillas but these two took me a hot minute to make. the Hna told me that one of these days she is going to make me do all of the tortillas myself and I told her that she wouldn't be eating until midnight if that was the case! Oh and she wanted to take pictures and I was like "frick" because I was wearing the same outfit I wore to the baptism in January when we took a bunch of pictures. Also, I took some pictures of a plant that they call pacaya, we had it with pasta this week and it looks like alien fingers or something.  


this quote was my favorite this week 
'Well, promise me that I will come to You at the last!'
He smiled sweetly and tenderly and replied: 
'That will depend entirely upon yourself.' 

No comments:

Post a Comment