Monday, June 1, 2015

"Endowed with Power from on High"

Martes 26 de Mayo
Santa Rita otra vez. The Mission President called me on the bus ride about this Sunday. And with some things I was asking the elders and he was like "Hermana Nelson...who else are you talking to?? Why do I hear a male voice are you in divisions or whatever you call it?" And I was like noooooooo I'm on the bus so that's why the Elders are with me! Because it was in the morning and we are just supposed to be in the house studying with our companions not hanging out with Elders haha. 
Went out visiting and a 19 year old señorita came with us and it went well, but she called me a boring person and I don't think I've ever been called that before.
The power went out around 7:30 so we had to go (almost run) back to the house early and we studied for my comp's 12 week training with flashlights.

Miércoles
I took a shower this morning for the first time in IDK how long. Still hardly any running water in our apartment. 

¨Peter, with all the fervor of his soul, voiced the great confession: ´thou art the Christ, the Son of the living God.´ This was no avowal of mere belief, no expression of a result at which he had arrived by mental process, no solution of a problem laboriously worked out, no verdict based on the weighing of evidence; he spoke in the sure knowledge that knows no question and from which doubt and reservation are as far removed as is the sky from the ground¨

This made me think about the reason I'm here and the testimony I have. And how some people I talk to have tried to shake that and I was so surprised. It caught me off guard. That anyone would even feel satisfaction cutting other people down. Yes, we teach people of other faiths and it would be a lie if we said that we didn't try to change their minds. But the way that I see it, we are just trying to bring more light. Not create doubt. I always laugh a little bit in my head when people try to make me question my testimony of my calling and of this church. Like do you really think you have the slightest chance of changing my mind? I have been endowed with power from on high. I have been set apart from the world for this specific period of time and in this specific country. I may not know everything but I am absolutely positive that no outside force can make me turn away from the promises that I have made with my God. Only I have the ability to do that. And I will not. With all that I have seen and experienced in my own life and in the life of my friends and family, I can't. The Lord lives and this is his church. Just like Peter, what better answer than from God?

We received a referral from the Ramos family and we hiked over to see her. When we got to the house she beckoned us in but she wasn't smiling or anything so I wasn't quite sure if she wanted to recieve us. Then we got to talking and she tells us that today she came home from work, closed the door and just sat down and cried because she felt so alone. She was praying that someone would come and comfort her. I was really glad we came right away instead of waiting until later to contact that referral. By the end of the visit she was smiling and laughing and excited to go to church on Sunday. 

Jueves: ¨Porque el me envió, conmigo está; no me ha dejado solo el Padre, porque yo hago siempre lo que a él le agrada¨ Juan 8:29 ¨The evident earnestness and profound conviction with which Jesus spoke caused many of His hearers to believe on Him; and these He addressed with the promise that if they continued in that belief, and shaped their lives according to His word, they should be His disciples indeed¨ ¨Y conoceréis la verdad, y la verdad os hará libres.¨

Learned how to make ¨catrachas¨ today. You just fry (of course) corn tortillas and put refried beans and crumbly cheese on top. It's funny because ¨catrachas¨ is another name for the women from honduras. 
Viernes: ¨Amados, no creáis a todo espíritu, sino discernid entre los espíritus para saver si son de Dios; porque muchos falsos profetas han salido al mundo.¨ 1 Juan 4:1 okay happy 7 months to me.
¨ Excuses are easy to find; they spring up as readily and plentifully as weeds by the wayside; when the Samaritan came along and saw the wretched state of the wounded man, he had no excuse for he wanted none.¨

So my hija is sick again :(  I let her rest for a little while and then we left to work.
When we talked with one of our investigators, towards the end of the lesson her baby was finally asleep so we could talk normally but my comp was dying of the sniffles so we finally had to leave. 
Her baby literally does not let her rest. It's 18 months old but constantly needing her attention. 
We did an activity in the church and it was supposed to start at 6pm but nobody showed up until 6:30.
We were there for the spiritual thought and then left during the game to go make the catrachas, there was enough for everyone thank goodness. 

Sábado: I made spaghetti sauce and I got to let it simmer for a reaaallllly long time because my companion was sick and didn't want to leave the house. I couldn't find any tomato paste or canned diced tomatoes in the supermarket so I just used fresh tomatoes. 

Domingo: Today was the day that the mission president and his lovely wife visited Morazán! They both talked a little bit and it was great. Lunch was great, the salad turned out great and it was the same salad and bread that we had in that meeting for just the sister missionaries. And the spagetti sauce turned out really good if I do say so myself. President was really nice about it and said that all of us in the kitchen cooking together made him baggy. like he actually said baggy and removed his nametag part of the way hahah. IDK if I ever explained this, but baggy is what we say when we get homesick.
Like when I tried the cookies that Hermana Klein brought and almost cried. 
Oh and right when we wanted to all go our separate ways it started to rain cats and dogs (and it hasn't rained in quite a while!)
President took us to our house and we had left the windows open and water got in and also under the doors. Because it was raining and windy and for some reason in Honduras it's normal to have really loud thunder in the middle of the day. We stayed in the house a little while to try and get it dry and ourselves dry. I was absolutely soaked because I spent a good amount of time on the balcony just letting it all soak in. I think I'm gettting transfered to Progresso which is city instead of pueblito. Morazán is beautiful and green and I'm going to miss it. 

Also, I received the wedding announcement of Jennie and Walter on Sunday and I opened it in church after President handed it to me. Everyone wanted to see and said that my friend is very beautiful.
It breaks my heart to hear about her father passing away. Dan Lamb is a great man and always so kind to me and treated me like just another one of his kids when I was in their home.  How beautiful are the promises that we have that families can be together forever. My heart goes out to the Lamb family - I love them so much!

But this was the week! And I have one more full week in this area so I hope to enjoy it as much as I can.

No comments:

Post a Comment